Click for English version

Translation in progress • Follow the blog to get the updates! Intro and rules are already translated so you can start using them :)

Impartiality of numbers

Rules are annoying prigs and a pain in the ass, if you forgive me the language. That’s why I love the ones I’m following lately. I’d like to drone on them one by one, and I will, but I’d rather start the boundless praise campaign tomorrow, after my second official face-off with the scale.

I say official because, this being a method that follows the needs of the mind and the moods of the body, it’s obvious that the changes aren’t sudden. Therefore weighing oneself every day would be stupid, because variations in both directions could happen for a thousand reasons.
On the other hand, I am stupid and I weigh myself every day. For now, I can’t resist it, but I can at least remember that anything I may read on the display is Not decisive.

In fact, not even the figure that appears every Monday should be considered decisive. And yet, it’s human nature to expect to lose at least a hundred grams every seven days (pleasepleaseplease…), even though it’s not always so.

All this attachment to numbers is deep seated.
Probably since when our intelligence and application were evaluated with our school grades. Get good marks and your parents will be happy; get bad ones, and you’re a useless ass that’ll never come to anything good in their life. Rankings, sport competitions, board games. Everything is quantified in numbers. How many views, subscribers, customers, how much money can you earn. And then there’s her, the scale. The spotless queen, the Delphic Sybil. She who doesn’t judge and doesn’t punish, impartial arbiter of the calories war.
I think I’m not the only one who’s known the joys and pains of seeing a given set of digits appear in the icy eye of the scale.

What I’m coming to understand is that, even though she seems so unbiased, she doesn’t lie but she doesn’t tell the truth either. Weight depends on the time of the month, on the time of the day, on the mood that’s influencing the shell we’re dragging along with us, on so much too many things: that’s not good English but you know what I mean…
That’s why I started to assess my progress in other ways (too).
How knowing that I’m walking along a path makes me feel, just for a start; how I see myself in the mirror; how I feel about food.

But yes, the child that got good grades at school would like one from the scale tomorrow.

The road ahead is still long…

Moon [-1.6]

No comments:

-10kg with no diet ♥ my video results